Original Illustration vs. Stock Imagery
Take a moment and think about the following: Mickey Mouse, Bugs Bunny, Donald Duck, Snoopy, Winnie the Pooh and Scooby Doo. Or, how about Superman, Batman and Wonder Woman?
What do all these have in common? They were all created by illustrators. They evoke emotions and personal connections.They are memorable and unforgettable.There is instant recall.
Benefits of original illustrations:
1. It will be a one-of-a-kind image. It will set you apart from your competitors and stand out from everyone else.
2. You can discuss your vision with the illustrator and be involved in the entire creative process. The exact image and message you want for your company will be presented to the world.
3. Once you have purchased the image, you will own the copyrights and no one else can use that unique image.
Limitations of stock images:
1. They are very general. They can be used by anyone who wants to pay the fee for usage. This includes your competitors. Therefore, they won’t set you apart and will make you blend in with everyone else.
2. They don’t tell your personal story or your companies vision. They were not generated by an artist who knows about you and your product personally. They were not created with your specific business and brand in mind.
3. Stock images can be cheap and quick, however, there are often limitations on how you can use the image and for how long. You may need to pay additional fees for the various ways you use the image, and even more when the image is used in large quantities of print material.
I recommend making your company stand out rather than blending in.
An illustration will help you do that!